Select your preferred language from the list below:
Upgrading to Windows 8 from Windows 7 on ThinkPad and Lenovo B, E, K, M, and V Series Notebook Computers - General
This document provides instructions for upgrading your computer operating system to Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 8 from the preinstalled Microsoft Windows 7. Note that Lenovo(R) does not warrant that every function and operation described in the Lenovo or Microsoft documentation will work or is free from limitation. The upgrade process might take 30 minutes to 120 minutes approximately, depending on the configuration of your computer and the total number of applications that need to be upgraded or reinstalled. There are specific notebook computer utilities or device drivers that are required for the proper operation of your computer. These utilities or device drivers might vary from one computer model to another. Download and have them available before upgrading. Some of the utilities and device drivers are required to be installed on the computer on which Windows 7 is to be installed. Go to the Lenovo Support Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support for those specific utilities and device drivers.
Before upgrading to Windows 8
Before upgrading to Windows 8, be sure to observe the following guidelines:
- Ensure that you have updated your system BIOS and device drivers. Otherwise, Windows 8 might not function correctly. Go to the Lenovo Support Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support to download and install the latest BIOS and device drivers for your system.
- If your computer operating system is Windows 7, upgrade it to Windows 7 Service Pack 1(SP1).
- Upgrade as many applications as possible. This might help you prevent problems during the upgrade process. For application software limitations, refer to the document Application Software Limitations When Upgrading to Windows 8 on ThinkPad and Lenovo B, E, K, M, and V Series Notebook Computers.
- Important: Uninstall the following applications or device drivers before upgrading. Otherwise you will encounter problems either during or after the upgrade process.
- - DisplayLink Core Software
- - Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
- - Lenovo Solution Center
- - RapidBoot
- - ThinkPad(R) Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software
- Ensure that you have backed up your files and data on your computer to an external storage device, such as an external hard disk drive, DVD or CD, USB flash memory, or network storage device.
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet through a wired Ethernet connection during the whole upgrade process. Windows 8 might automatically download device drivers and updates during the upgrade process.
Upgrading to Windows 8
To upgrade your operating system to Windows 8, do the following:
- Insert a Windows 8 installation DVD into the optical drive, and allow AutoPlay to launch the Windows 8 installation wizard. If AutoPlay does not start, run the SETUP.EXE file on the DVD. Then, the Windows setup initialization begins.
- When you are prompted to type your Windows 8 product key, type your 25-character Windows 8 product key. Click Next to continue.
- In the License terms window, carefully read the license terms. Contact Microsoft to clarify any questions or issues, if you have. If you agree, click I accept the license terms and then click Accept to continue.
Note: You must agree to the license terms to continue.
- In the "Choose what to keep" window, select an option that satisfies your needs and then click Next to continue.
- Wait a few minutes for the system to finish checking the system conditions. Then, click Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to uninstall incompatible applications, upgrade device drivers and applications, and restart the computer to refresh settings. Then, select Continue from where I left off or Start over from the beginning as desired. Click Next.
- In the Ready to install window, review your selections and click Change selection if you want to make a change. Otherwise, click Install to begin the installation. During the installation process, the computer will automatically restart several times and you will see the installation progress on the screen.
- When the Personalize window is displayed, select a color you like. Then click Next to continue.
- In the Wireless window, select a wireless network to connect or click Connect to a wireless network later. A password might be required to connect to a wireless network.
- When the Settings window is displayed, click Use express settings to use the express settings or click Customize to customize your settings.
- When the Sign in to your PC window opens, do one of the following:
- - If you want to sign in to using your local account, click Use my current local account. When required to provide your password, provide the password.
- - If you want to sign in to with a Microsoft account (also known as Windows Live account), click Microsoft account. Then, do one of the following:
- - If you have a Microsoft account, type your e-mail address in the blank field, and click Next. When required to provide your password, provide the password.
After a demo flash is played, you will be logged in and you will see the Windows 8 Start screen.
- - If you do not have a Microsoft account, click Sign up for a new email address and follow the instructions on the screen to set up an account.
- Download and install the ThinkVantage(R) System Update program 4.1 or later from the Lenovo Support Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support to install Windows 8 compatible device drivers and utilities.
Lenovo, ThinkPad, and ThinkVantage are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.