Select your preferred language from the list below:
Clean Install of Windows 8 on ThinkCentre and ThinkStation Desktop Computers - General
This document provides instructions on how to perform a clean install of the Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 8 operating system on ThinkCentre(R) and ThinkStation(R) desktop computers. Note that Lenovo(R) does not warrant that every function and operation described in the Lenovo or Microsoft documentation will work or is free from limitation. There are specific desktop computer utilities or device drivers that are required for the proper operation of your computer. These utilities or device drivers might vary from one computer model to another. Download and have them available after the installation. Go to the Lenovo Support Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support for those specific utilities and device drivers.
Before a clean install of Windows 8
Before a clean install of Windows 8, ensure that you observe the following precautions:
- Ensure that you have updated your system BIOS. Otherwise, Windows 8 might not function correctly. Go to the Lenovo Support Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support to download and install the latest BIOS for your system.
- Ensure that you have backed up your files and data on your computer to an external storage device, such as an external hard disk drive, DVD or CD, USB flash drive, or network storage device.
Performing a clean install of Windows 8
To perform a clean install of Windows 8, do the following:
- Do one of the following:
- Insert a Windows 8 installation DVD into the optical drive and then start the computer from the DVD.
- Connect a Windows 8 installation USB flash drive to the computer and then start the computer from the USB flash drive.
Then, the Windows setup initialization begins.
- When you are prompted, configure the on-screen options, such as the time and currency format, and keyboard or input method. Then, click Next.
- Click Install now.
- When you are prompted to type your Windows 8 product key, type your 25-character Windows 8 product key. Then, click Next.
- In the License terms window, carefully read the license terms. Contact Microsoft to clarify any questions or issues, if you have. If you agree, click I accept the license terms and then click Accept to continue.
Note: You must agree to the license terms to continue.
- When the "Which type of installation do you want?" window is displayed, click Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
- When the "Where do you want to install Windows?" window is displayed, select the partition on which you intend to install Windows 8.
- If you want to create, format, or delete a partition, click Drive options (advanced) and then follow the instructions on the screen.
- For some ThinkStation computer models with SAS hard disk drives, you need to download the required storage controller drives for your computer from the Lenovo Support Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support. Save the drivers to a disc or a USB flash drive, click Drive options (advanced), and then click Load driver. Follow the instructions on the screen to load the drivers.
- Click Next to begin the installation. During the installation process, the computer will automatically restart several times.
- When the Personalize window is displayed, select a color you like and type a computer name. Then, click Next.
- When the Settings window is displayed, click Use express settings to use the express settings or click Customize to customize your settings.
- When the Sign in to your PC window is displayed, follow the instructions on the screen to set your user name and password and then click Finish. After a demo flash is played, you will be logged in and you will see the Windows 8 Start screen.
- Download and install the ThinkVantage(R) System Update program 5.0 or later from the Lenovo Support Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support to install Windows 8 compatible device drivers and utilities.
Lenovo, ThinkCentre, ThinkStation, and ThinkVantage are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.