Windows® 8 upgrade guide
This Lenovo Windows® 8 upgrade guide will help you to upgrade your current Windows operating system to Windows® 8.
Models eligible for Windows® 8 upgrade
To ensure that your model of compute is eligible for this upgrade, go to: www.lenovo.com/support/windows8.
Loss of functionality after upgrade
Because of software compatibility issues, the following applications will no longer work after upgrading your computer.
• Pre-installed Applications:
Lenovo Eye Distance System, Lenovo Dynamic Brightness System, IdeaTouch, RapidDrive Advanced, Lenovo Driver and Application Installation, Lenovo Rescue System, Fun Zone, Home Hub, Office 2010 Starter, Idea life, McAfee AntiVirus, etc.
|Note: If you change the language of your operating system during the upgrade process, all of the software on your computer will be lost. For example, if your operating system is currently in Chinese and you change to an English version during the upgrade, upon completion your computer will only be equipped with the basic operating system without any other software applications. You will then need to manually install any required or desired software.
Windows® 8 restricted features
Specific features of Windows® 8 may be disabled or unavailable on your computer because of different hardware configurations.
• Disabled or unavailable features may include: Multi-touch input, PBR, Security Boot, Lenovo app store, etc.
Some software should be uninstalled or updated prior to upgrading to Windows® 8. If this is not done, the upgrade process may fail. Check to see if your computer has any of the following programs. If so, uninstall or upgrade the program before upgrading your computer.
- The software list below applies to all upgradable models. However, your computer may not include all of the software programs listed below.
- To be safe, you should uninstall all software programs on the list below from your computer. However, depending on your specific model, some of the software programs listed below may not cause problems after the upgrade process.
Dolby Advanced Audio
Dolby Home Theater
Lenovo assistant, Lenovo Camera Fun Zone, Lenovo driver and application installation, Lenovo Dynamic Brightness System, Lenovo Eye Distance System, Lenovo Rescue System3.0, Lenovo VeriTouch, LVT
Office 2010, Over clock application
Rapid Boot Advanced,
Rapid Drive Advanced
Windows Live Essential
Other (China only)
ZUBU 杂志, 高清视频娱乐, 信息庄园, 网络保护, 乐关联
Upgrading to Windows® 8
- The TV function of the previous operating system will no longer be available after upgrading to Windows 8.
- The Onekey TV function will not be affected by the Windows 8 upgrade.
• Before upgrading to Windows® 8
• Make sure your current operating system is eligible for this upgrade.
- To determine if your current version of Windows can be upgraded, go to: www.lenovo.com/support/windows8.
- Only qualifying PCs running Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate which were purchased between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013 are eligible for this promotional upgrade offer.
• Back up any critical files and data you want to save to an external storage device.
• To register for this promotional offer and upgrade to Windows® 8, go to: http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com. After registering, you will receive an e-mail from Microsoft with a product key and further upgrade instructions.
• When Windows® 8 becomes officially available for purchase and download, you should return to this website to complete the upgrade process.
• What are the system requirements for Windows® 8? Windows® 8 works great on the same hardware that powers Windows® 7:
• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
• RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
• Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
• Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver. There are additional requirements for the use of certain features:
• To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch.
• To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768.
• To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768.
• Internet access (ISP fees might apply)
Microsoft offers two options for upgrading to Windows® 8: upgrading from an older version of Windows and clean install.
If your current version of Windows can be upgraded, you may be able to keep your previous files, settings, user accounts, and programs. To perform an upgrade:
1. Insert a Windows® 8 disc (DVD) into the optical drive and allow AutoRun to launch the Windows® 8 installation wizard, or run the SETUP.EXE file from the DVD if AutoRun does not start.
2. On the Product key page, enter the 25-character product key, and then click Next.
3. Read the License terms page. If you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Accept.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade. If you see a compatibility report, follow the instructions listed in the report.
If your current version of Windows can't be upgraded or if you want to replace your current operating system entirely, you can perform a clean install.
|Note: Some models can only support the clean install upgrade method. For IdeaCentre models, Lenovo suggests performing a clean install to upgrade to Windows® 8.
To perform a clean install:
1. Start your computer normally. Insert the Windows® 8 upgrade disc into the optical drive. Then restart your computer directly from the upgrade disc.*
- To start your computer directly from the upgrade disc, insert the disc into your optical drive and restart the computer. When the Lenovo logo appears, immediately press F12 (or Fn + F11, if there is no separate F12 key on your keyboard) to open the boot selection menu. Choose the optical drive as the first boot device. Your computer will then start directly from the Windows® 8 Upgrade Disc.
- If you choose the web-based upgrade, you can download the installation package from the Microsoft website. After downloading, run the installation program and follow the instructions to complete the upgrade process.
2. On the language page, select your language and other preferences, then click Next.
3. On the Windows Setup page, click Install now.
4. On the Product key page, enter the 25-character product key, and then click Next.
5. Read the License terms page. If you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Accept.
6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
7. Choose the partition on which you want to install Windows® 8.
8. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation. Your Windows operating system will be upgraded to Windows® 8 after the installation is complete.
|Note: Clean install deletes all of your programs and settings. You must manually reinstall your programs after the installation is completed. You will also need to manually install any hardware drivers needed for the new operating system.
To learn more about Windows-related downloads and updates, go to: www.lenovo.com/support/windows8. Drivers, hardware applets and software programs (which may have been uninstalled prior to the upgrade) are available online at: www.lenovo.com/support/windows8.